Tune up

10

Asked by Apr 30, 2016 at 11:14 AM about the 2003 Ford Taurus SES

I would like to get the parts for a tune up since the
serpentine belt went on Ford Taurus 2003 SES  3.O
L V6. What parts are needed? I'm thinking plugs,
wires, fuel filter, air filter and serpentine belt. Oil
change is due

49,115

Miles?

96,585

A good tune up is plugs, cap, rotor, wires, air and fuel filters, some places also add in and oil and filter change. A serpentine belt should be replaced if it is showing signs of wear like small cracks or chunks missing out of the belt, small pieces of fabric showing, you should also be looking at the hoses also. If you haven't been using top tier fuels you might consider getting the injectors cleaned. HTH

10

Serpentine belt went so wanted to do repairs, purchased car used and not sure what was really done before, feels like it needs a tune up, going through gas too much. Milage is at 163,288 oil change is due

96,585

Yes absolutely, with that kind of mileage and not knowing the history you really should start by checking things like the tune condition, transmission filter and fluid change, engine oil and filter change, belts, hoses and coolant condition and possibly change thermostat, brake linings would be a good idea to check also. These vehicles have a reputation for blowing head gaskets and burning up transmissions if it has an automatic, so it is vital that the cooling system is in top condition. I have seen a lot of tranny shops put on a separate trans cooler and do away with the one in the radiator, they say they won't honor the warranty if it is not done, seems logical cause heat is the biggest killer of automatics. Hope this will give you some direction.

49,115

Tennisshoes gives good advice. Affordability on your part may cause you not to do many or some of these things, but if it were mine I would check and likely replace the following: serpentine belt, belt tensioner, belt idler(s) as there is a reason the belt came off. Also spark plugs, cap and rotor (if equipped) and plug wires. I would also change the engine coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid and all of the filters (oil, fuel, air and transmission). Install a new thermostat if changing the engine coolant. I would take a very close look at the water pump to see if it is seeping or the bearing is noisy. Let us know how it comes out and good luck with it.