Trans am headlight doors

10

Asked by Apr 29, 2016 at 07:11 PM about the 1989 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GTA

I have an 89 trans am,headlightdoors do not
work,motors good ,switch replaced,fuse
was blown...replaced,I do my have power to
module,what now?

24,035

these hidden headlights that were so trendy in the 80s are such a pain- I hate them- the electronic diagram for these things are complex- they have to open- they have to close- get a wiring diagram- then have a pina colada and put on Milli Vanilli- I have to go now, I think I hurt my brain trying to remember the '80s

1,385

Well if you think the motors are good and everything then I would say the doors are sticking in place? so I would try to spray some silicone spray around the outside of the headlights themselves as long as it doesn't hurt the paint and try to squirt it in between where the headlight door meets the hood go put a nozzle spray tube in there and spray silicone or maybe liquid wrench something to free it up anti seize spray around the whole area. There's a manual crank knob on the headlights themselves that if you turn it they will manually activate the headlights to go up when you have the hood open you can access it. And disregard what I was saying about spraying between a headlight and the hood just open the hood up and spray the whole mechanism of the headlight the whole bracket assembly. This way if you manually crank them you'll know they're rusted in place or what-have-you if you'll be able to tell they're free or lose by turning that knob get back to this after you've tried that.

5,375

These motors are prone to failure but the fix is usually simple. Several places offer a motor repair kit that has replacement parts that can be installed. It does require removal of the motor assembly but the instructions that come with the kits are reasonably easy to follow. Do search on "firebird headlight motor repair kits" and try fixing them.

10

My motors are new,i dont have power to headlight door module

1,385

Sounds like you're going to have to replace the headlight module then?