Looking at buying a 1994 geo tracker that hasnt been started for 6 months to a year. What should I do before trying to start it?

Asked by Nov 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM about the 1994 Geo Tracker 2 Dr STD 4WD SUV

The owner is in a nursing home now and asked if I would like to buy it. I would I want to
test drive it before. It hasnt been started for a year. He kept really g[d care of it.  I want to
take it to a mechanic have it gone over. Is it safe to drive there if it starts? Are there things
to do first.  Turn the engine over without starting?  Drain the gas tank? Etc.  Can I drive it 2
miles to the mechanic have him drain gas change oil etc. .?

20,860

6 months of sitting shouldn't hurt the tracker at all. The brakes I'm sure will sound bad because the rotors and drums will probably have a coating of rust on them. Check all the fluid levels before you start it. (Oil, transmission, power steering, brake and coolant) Make sure you have a firm brake pedal before you move it out of its current spot. Check your lights make sure you have turn signals and brake lights. Other than that you should be good to go. Have the mechanic change the oil and if the gas tank is below a half tank fill it with fresh gas on your way back.

20,860

Recheck the transmission fluid level once the tracker is warmed up to get the proper reading.

5,645

I agree with TransAm77. My '94 was on jack stands for three years because I couldn't find a important part. When I got it back running I replaced a lot of ignition parts and vacuum lines because it is a 20 year old car. What I didn't expect was the serpentine belt to harden from lack of use. Replacement belt was cheap. I soaked both front rotors in a pan filled with vinegar for a day. The front pads are semi metallic, the rear brake shoes are asbestos. Caution.