Why wont my car start?

10

Asked by Sep 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM about the 1994 Geo Prizm 4 Dr STD Sedan

I have a 1994 Prizm. The other day my step daughter was driving it and it died. I know the battery in it was on its
last leg so I replaced it. I tried starting the car and all it would do is turn over. I had it towed home so I could start
checking to see whether or not it had spark or fuel. After I got it home it would not always turn over. Now all that
happens is the starter clicks but does not engage. I have had both the starter and the alternator tested and they
checked out fine. I also tried jumping it with another vehicle just in case the battery didn't have the cranking
amps it needs. Still all it does is click. Everything else works as far as the electronics go. Any Ideas?

165

Sounds like it could be bad plugs, wires and cap. But if the starter just clicks and won't turn the engine over (assuming it's not a bad solenoid making the click) then I think the engine is blown and frozen in place.

10

Both the starter and solenoid were checked and OK. The motor is not frozen. I am able to turn it over manually at the crank.

10

i very surprised at the expensive and time consuming suggestions above and that no one mentioned what the real issue is, its a easy fix too! my dads had a heap of geos and this has happened in quite a few of them. driving along car runs great no issues for months and suddenly the geo lost power, it dies and will not start. every time this happened to us it was the IGNITION MODULE. thia happens on most geo models, super easy and not invasive to fix, its right by the distributor cap and looks like something for a computer. go to a junk yard or order one online, it takes like 10 minutes to install.