Stalling

10

Asked by May 29, 2016 at 07:01 AM about the 1988 Pontiac 6000 LE

Pontiac 6000 1988 46,000 oringinal miles only one
owner clean as can be car everything is brand new
but it sat for a bit before we bought it. Stalls
constantly can't drive it without keeping my foot on
the gas at all times. Also there is air in the gas tank
like air pressure built up when I open the tank you
can hear it all come out like a soda can opening but
it's a lot of air. What could cause this stalling and air
in tank.

10

I should mention I just had a new maf sensor installed and a new computer board like 2 days ago because that's what the check engine read but they didn't solve the stalking problem.

12,035

Does the car start and run ok until its warmed up then stall out? or does it stall when shifted into drive?

10

It starts and runs in idle then when shifted in drive it stalls immediate I can drive it but the second I let off the gas completely it shuts off everytime. I went to fill up the gas yesterday and when j turned the gas cap it let out so much air like way more than normal. I just bought this car 2 weeks ago. It has so many brand new parts and low low miles so I thought I would get a good life out of it as I owned one previously and loved it. Of course my luck the one thing that isn't new breaks lol. But I don't know where to start with it.

12,035

If its the V6 there are known issues with the injectors, also the transmission TCC solenoid can cause the stalling when placed into drive. Is it the 6 cylinder? These engines had a problem with fuel injectors when hot. Have a mechanic check the injectors. They should all be about the same resistance is about 11.9 to over 12 ohms. If one is lower than spec it needs to be replaced. Just a starting point. Regards

10

I'm pretty sure it is a v6 I'm not able to run a nd check at this moment. This car also is fuel injected (????) right??? Do you think a clogged fuel filter from sitting could cause this also (that's what the guy who sold it to me suggested)??

24,315

Replace the fuel filter then, that's a simple low-cost part to swap out. Another easy to switch part that might cause this sort of problem (stalling when foot is not pressing the gas) is the idle air control valve (IAC). Replace those, they're probably overdue for replacement anyhow.

If your interested in selling your car pls email me at froysmoviecars@gmail.com

10

I'm not I love my car but, thanks for the offer!