!988 Pontiac Sunbird 2.0L, No spark, and, no pulse at the throttle body injector

Asked by Nov 26, 2014 at 04:19 PM about the 1988 Pontiac Sunbird SE

I've been trying to help my nephew out with his busted car. I have replaced the distributor
cap and rotor, and the ignition coil, as far as I know these distributor type ignition
systems don't use a crank or cam sensor. I am running out of options. What would cause
a no-spark and a no-pulse at the same time?

20,190

Bad ground? Start at the fuse box. Check fuses and relays. The car is old enough to have a rust/corrosion problem with the ground and/or wiring in or out of the fuse box or the fuse box itself. Check all related connections and connectors. Look for green corrosion on terminals. It could also be the ECM.

O.K. I hope it's not the ECM, I'll go check fuses and relays.

20,190

I hope its not an ECM either. Fuses relays, grounds, connectors, connections (somebody might have spliced wires over the years too) wires ect. Chasing an electrical problem can be a royal pain.

Fuses are all good, I don't see any relays anywhere, is this weird? All the wiring looks to be in good shape.

20,190

Well yea a lil bit but, its old enough it might not have any? Its been a while since I worked on a old sunbird. LOL

The ignition module is notorious for quitting with little to no warning. The module is located inside the distributor under the rotor. 2 small screws and 3 plugs to remove and replace.

10

i had the same problem with my 88 sunbird no spark and no pulse at throttle body injector there is only one thing that causes that and that is the silonoid in the distributor it looks like a fuse inside the distributor