1995 tracker. Starts right up on first start of the day, the rest of the day, I have to let the engine crank over quite a few times before it will fire up & a smell of fuel. Whats wrong?

10

Asked by Dec 04, 2014 at 12:27 AM about the 1995 Geo Tracker 2 Dr STD Convertible

Just going by what the previous owner told me, this 94 geo has a 95 engine.  Have to let the engine crank over several times before it will fire.  When I am driving at about ten to fifteen, there is a very small surging, no backfiring, no missing.  Anyone know what is wrong and the cure?

4,805

Could be the fuel pressure regulator. Do you know if the Tracker is the multi-port of throttle body model? I found that on the multi-port injection model, when the fuel pressure regulator malfunctioned, the car was hard to start, but it also apparently pushed too much fuel in the fuel injection rail so it leaked out through the damper at the end of the rail and over the back of the engine. If you smell a lot of fuel look on the ground near the back of the engine.

10

My tracker has the throttle body assembly. I have not seen any fuel on the ground or even on the engine. I have been looking at the price of the fuel pressure regulator and am stunned that a part that is less than 2" long that works off of a vacuum line and cannot be taken apart and repaired, costs in excess of 50 bucks. Also, how can I trouble shoot this problem without buying part after part until I get the right part?

4,805

I paid over $80 with shipping from Rockauto.com You can get a vacuum gauge for less than $20 and see what kind of vacuum the engine pulls. The vacuum gauge also has a fuel pressure gauge built in it, but my '94 1.6l MFI doesn't have a plug to stick the gauge in. With the bad regulator my spark plugs kept fouling. Have you pulled a plug?

10

I will try the vacuum gauge. What amount of vacuum am I looking for?

4,805

Lot of vacuum videos out there. It varies, generally 18-22 at idle. When my pressure regulator was bad, my car was a bumpy 15. After changing it, it idles at a rock steady 21. When getting a vacuum gauge look for a kit that also supplies "T" and/or "Y" fittings and maybe some vacuum tube so you don't have to hunt around for the stuff before you can use it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrnzD7PgoHI

10

I have installed another fuel pressure regulator and the excessive cranking disappeared but, now when I let completely up on the accelerator the engine acts like the fuel has been shut off and jerks the vehicle, then when I step on the gas it jerks again. It is very noticeable and tough on the tranny and rear end. Anyone have any ideals for a fix?