Battery is good,yet car won't turn over or click, and my stereo cuts out.

25

Asked by Nov 20, 2014 at 11:45 PM about the 1995 Geo Prizm 4 Dr LSi Sedan

When I am driving my back lights aren't on yet fuses are all good and when stereo is on and car is off, back lights stay on. Please help

18,330

Sounds like you have a few problems. They battery can be bad even though the lights and radio work. It just doesnt have enough power to crank the engine. Start with the connections at the battery and starter. They all need to be clean and tight. Try jumping the car if it starts it the battery if it doesn't start it's probably the starter.

5

How can you say your battery is good, if the car doesn't start or has a weak crank? From where are you deriving your theory that the battery is bad? You state that the car won't turn over, but it drives. Do you have to jump it to get it started. If it needs a jump to start but then runs...its your battery...check the distilled water level in the battery....refill if necessary with distilled water-not boiled-not filtered-only distilled. If it runs but suffers from electrical issues like slow wipers or intermittent radio while running, these issues point to the alternator not working...or working inefficiently.

25

Thank you both for your input. I'm happy to say that my starter, alternator and battery are in fine working order...:after I followed some wires throughout my car today I attempted to turn it over again and IT Started as normal as ever. So now i'm going to alison.com to see if I can learn about schematics. There is still the situation with my back lights, front speakers and gauge lights (dash).

18,330

Cool! By any chance does your Geo have an aftermarket stereo and remote start/alarm?