Towing a 4WD Tracker

Asked by May 31, 2011 at 06:11 PM about the 1996 Geo Tracker 2 Dr LSi 4WD Convertible

I just bought a 1996 4WD Tracker to tow behind an RV. The owner's manual says to put the transfer case in neutral but place the regular transmission in 2nd gear.  Shouldn't the regular transmission be in NEUTRAL?  Why would you tow in 2nd gear???

415

For the 4X4 models, if the transfer case is in N and the vehicle is in 2nd, if the T-case does anything funny, you'll be able to tell, and it keeps the t-case from extra wear and tare. The Transmission won't be moving at all if the T-case is in N.

415

And also, the transmission won't get any extra wear while being in N. It's a long and complicated thing to tell.

130

Why do you care what the transmission is in if the transfer case is in N?

10

most of the time transfer cases come from the factory about 1/2 quart or more overfull. I put my tracker and s10 on a hill in my front yard and overfill all I can. I know the np transfer case in my s10 has a pump on the tail shaft to lubricate the tail shaft bearing but I do not know if the tracker has this. but if you overfill the case it will get splash. If it gets to overfull it just goes out the vent on top. I worked on the np case before i put in my s10 and it might of had 1 quart extra fluid from the factory. I think they do it if the pump fails.

10

What happens if the transfer case is towed in 4x4by mistake. It is hot and leaking green fluid. Did I reck my 95 GEO Tracker?