2003 ford Taurus--Revving while braking

Asked by Jul 26, 2015 at 12:33 PM about the 2003 Ford Taurus LX

Back in January, I was driving home and had an issue of my car revving up while I
was pushing the brake down.  Took it to my usual mechanic....he said a couple of
hoses were old and cracked and i needed a new PCV valve and IAC valve.  Things
were fine for a month.  then it did it again....so I took it back and he replaced a couple
more hoses and the intake manifold gasket and said it was good to go.  
Again....one month later (to the day), the same revving issue popped up.  He checked
everything again and said couldn't see anything wrong with it but he did replace the
PCV valve again.  Before I even picked the car up, he had to replace the PCV valve a
third time cause it acted up on him.  
His third PCV valve he said he got from a completely different maker and vendor and it
was fine for the last 4 months of so.  Of course, I'm here today because it acted up on
me again today.  
Now, by acting up, I mean I hit the brake and the RPM's got from 1500 to over 4500
and (obviously) the car doesn't slow down.  Back in January when it first happened, I
could let off the brake and reapply and the car would slow normally but as the problem
has reappeared it's gotten harder and harder to stop.  Once, even having to slam it into
park to keep from going into a busy intersection.   Throwing it in neutral just makes the
engine rev even higher so that option is out.   
I plan on talking with my guy for a long time tomorrow to figure this out.  If he is going
to throw his hands in the air I guess i will check the dealer out.  any suggestions I can
throw his way of things to check/look for????  other than this the car is in great shape
and I only drive 15 miles a day to work in it so i need another year or two max from
this car.  it has no other issues at the moment.

109,945

4500 RPM's sounds more like a engine control malfunction than a vacuum leak. Has your tech tested the system using a "live data" scanner? Possibly an ISC unit, Throttle stepper motor, or even a wiring problem, something like a rubbed through spot that only happens when you are braking or a loose ground.

Best Answer Mark helpful
21,130

Check the brake booster check valve.

21,130

If the brake booster check valve is bad it will allow the air in the booster to go back into the engine when brakes are applied. This valve is only supposed to let air into the booster it is like a one way valve let's air in after brakes are applied.

Well....after three days with the mechanic, the car has not acted up once. (figures) I have a feeling a vaccuum leak is ruled outand now it's into a computer or wiring issue. Think I'll take it over to the Ford dealer and let them take a crack at it. I guess if they can't find anything, I will have to trade it in. I don't think I can drive it anymore knowing it's a accident waiting to happen. the car only has 130,000 miles on it and other than this issue it's been reliable the last couple years. was hoping (praying) for one more.......

21,130

Replace the brake booster check valve it does not cost that much and it may solve your problem its worth a try.