starts but won't stay running

Asked by Jul 22, 2015 at 08:46 PM about the 1992 Chevrolet S-10 Tahoe Extended Cab SB

92 S-10 2.8L will start but wont run longer than 1-2 seconds

1,565

Check fuel pump. Sounds like it is not working.

8,300

is there some kind of anti-theft? or another loss of injector signal? fuel system tests go from supply, its pressure, to delivery and injector on time. there are testers that simplify at the parts supplier. sounds like you need some service manual read and understand time, before replacing anything. remember systems are protected by fuses, controlled by relays, and computer controlled. self test and reading codes is supported thru parts supplier too. libraries have free books and every accurate online source can cost money. databases for automotive are often accessible at the library.

8,300

Your symptom would be cranks /starts /dies. your codes could lead you to parts for pinpoint tests to be run. the system prechecks get you to inspect several things, they are outlined in the service manual. '92 s-10.tahoe but 2.8L? is that right? use a manual to decifher your VIN and see what engine and powertrain is in use. that simplifies for people trying to help.

8,300

since it runs but does not continue to run, it seems something is shutting it off. If you were to add a spray to the throttle body would it continue to run? Next item comes to mind is condition, are there any symptoms with warning lights ? Any other symptoms?............see your parts supplier to discuss what product can be sprayed there and is useful in diagnosis.

10

it is the security feature search for security bypass instructions

8,300

Does that mean you think the processor is in security lockout ? It is a possible thing to verify...that it is....it would have a code for that if it can, but not in normal self diagnostic memory. You have to learn the system, its capabilities, the scan tool, and its functions, The right thing is get help from a tech or an experienced person, even a parts person. Is that what you mean? A 92 s10 tahoe sb ? This is what they need to research, its obd-1, not obd -II so....what is the vehicle equipped with ? Is there a security system that cancells injector pulse ? or has it simply lost spark, thereby cancellung fuel? They have not replied to this thread. They presented a question looking for someone with a magic wand. the vehicle is 23 now. who knows if A/C delco parts are even in use ? That's for other readers seeking similar questions answered.

10

you asked...I answered....don't take my advise...don't care...

8,300

I cannot understand such a vague answer, please elaborate. If you did not care, why attempt? being a 92 means use the books and search according to OBD 1 but do the system prechecks, are you trying to say that? or did you mean an online search ? please clarify even if you dont care.

10

Look at your dash is there a yellow security light on or flashing. if so then it is more than likely the antitheft That is my opinion.

20

It's a 92. Anit theft? your 2 cents are not worth the time it took my to read your post peter

WELL DID YOU EVER FIGURE IT OUT?