96' Tracker Idle failure

Asked by Aug 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM about the 1996 Geo Tracker 2 Dr STD 4WD Convertible

I have a 96' tracker that runs quite well. All of a sudden last week the idle failed and the engine stalled. The idle has not come back so I have to pump gas to keep it from stalling. How do I remedy this-Thank you

9,525

Try the IAC, Idle Air Control valve. It will be the larger sensor bolted to the throttle body (smaller one is the tps mounted to the rotating portion). When your do not give your vehicle throttle the throttle blade is shut. With the key on the IAC plunger will retract to let idle air pass around the throttle body blade. If it's cooked it will not open, thus no idling. You can unbolt the unit and test it. Should be extended and it should retract when the key is turned to on. Feel free to move it manually. If you do get it to start moving with the key try some carb cleaner and re-install it.

20

Also, clean the area around the throttle blade. Just wipe it clean with throttle body cleaner.