1985 Chevy El Camino 4.3 V6 (Hard Starting)

20

Asked by Sep 24, 2014 at 03:56 PM about the 1985 Chevrolet El Camino Base

My 1985 El Camino is having issues when starting both cold and hot starting.   I am noticing that it is requiring more rotations of the engine before actually starting.  I am certain this is a maintainence issue.
I pulled the Air Cleaner off and have noticed that the Electronic Fuel Injected Carburater is a bit gummed up and requires cleaning.  But I am still thinking Choke issue.
Is the choke, thermostat controlled?
Is is possible with a dirty carburater that it may be causing the Choke to stay in a closed position?
Will running injection cleaner through the gas tank help?
Again, I am stuck on the Chock.  I really think that the choke is causing a lack of air to get into the engine to allow for a smooth and quick start.
Any suggestions or direction you provide is appreciated.

6,775

it is either EFI or carberated not both is your fuel filter gumed up if you run seafoam through it it might help

20

Thank You, yes. It has a carburater on it but appears to be electronic injection inside the two ports. I am in the process of cleaning the carb and also running injection cleaner with full tank to insure jets are not an issue. Also i have never heard of Seafoam....how is it used?

20

Also the fuel filter was changed a year ago and has had the plugs replaced recently.

56,785

With a carburetor there's a starting procedure. Cold start, turn the ignition to the run position and press the gas pedal to the floor once and release. Now with your foot off the gas pedal start it up. Warm or hot start, press and hold the gas pedal about 1/4 of the way down and start it up. The automatic choke has a bimetal coil that opens and closes the "butterfly" valve on top of the carburetor. There's a small electric heater, that gets power from the oil pressure switch, to heat the coil and open the choke once the engine is running. These heaters burn out causing the choke not to open as it should. The fuel squirting in the carburetor barrels that you see is a good thing! That's the accelerator pump, inside the carburetor giving more gas on acceleration. It's supposed to do that. The symptoms that you described are usually caused by improper starting procedures or the float bowl leaking. The float bowl is like a mini gas tank. It has a valve that opens and closes, just like your toilet tank, to keep the float bowl full. Injector cleaner will clean up the inside of the carburetor but I'd suggest using an aerosol can of carb and choke cleaner for the outside of the carburetor. Clean up the linkages real good then give everything a shot of WD-40 to insure that everything is operating smoothly. HTH. -Jim