Whats wrong with my el camino

10

Asked by Apr 10, 2014 at 10:40 PM about the 1984 Chevrolet El Camino Base

Well my car is like stalling like it wants to
cut off , and when I turn my key I cant hear
the fuel pump ticking like it should be . And
all this happens when my gas is low , does
any one have any ideas  ? I have an 1984 el
camino , v8 305 eng.

17,105

You got junk in your trunk? When is the last time your 29 year old truck had the fuel filter or gas tank cleaned? Is the pump in the gas tank or along the rails. Is it a mechanical pump? Is there gas to the engine? Is it a pump that cuts off when the front fuel bowl is full? When you first start the EL, is, is it quiet enough to hear if the pump is working? No radio, no traffic, no kids, wife, girlfriend or both? Disconnect the gas line just before the EFI unit and have a friend turn on the key to see if gas is being pumped out the disconnected line into a glass jar you are holding to capture the $4.00+ gas.

10

well i had this el camino just under a year , and it runs great and i have an mechanical gas pump down on the left hand side of the engine . And like i said when it get down to a quarter of a tank and i fuel back up thats when it starts runing bad , like it wants to cut off . And when i turn the on in the el camino i would hear this ticking sound like a fuel pump but its not my fuel pump ? And when i do her the ticking now it less sound coming from it now or i dont hear the ticking at all ? and its really going to try to cut off on me then ? I understand what your saying about junk in the trunk but could it be somthing more besides this ?

17,105

If you have a mechanical pump, you will not hear it as the pump arm rotates off the crank shaft. Check your filters, and if it is an electric fuel injector set up, have the injectors checked for buildup. Gas cap? Most gas caps need a breathing hole and if it is not letting enough air into the tank as it empties, you will get a bit of starvation. Since this issue occurs when the tank is near empty, it has something to do with the fuel delivery system it sounds like. When it stutters again on or near empty, have the pressure at the injectors checked. You may even have a small hole or worn gasket in the fuel system leading to the EFI unit. Is it a carburetor motor? Check the float for proper level in the carburetor bowl. Sometimes these become tired and sink so there is not enough fuel in the bowl. Are the jets set right and clean? Does the fuel pump put out the correct pressure? My wife's Bonneville has a ticking sound she thought was the transmission. At 110,000 miles I had it serviced but the ticking sound continued. I don't drive it much at all. The sound continued even when stopped or in park. It is not the transmission, rather I think it may be a power steering pump going out or a water pump bearing making some noise. Put the car in gear and listen if the ticking noise changes. if not, rev the engine to see it it changes. What about a new radio and your picking up ignition sounds from an unshielded wire? Turn off all everything and try to get under the hood to find the area the ticking sound is coming from. That is a place to start.

10

I thank you for the feed back and i will check on this , i have a real nice car and it runs really good , im just trying to keep it that way , and thanks again ...

17,105

This is a vehicle that will run until your great grand children sell it to a museum. I'm keeping my 1969 Corvette also, but I have done a bit of modification to it. The C-6 Z-06 is a bit faster and the new C-7s are way above it, but they're above a lot of cars, new and old.

17,105

Don't know how to post more that one picture at a time. My modified motor.