Water leaking into cabin

25

Asked by Oct 07, 2014 at 08:20 AM about the 1983 Chevrolet El Camino Base

When it rains, water puddles up in the passenger floor. I think I have found the problem. The fresh air vents below the windshield underneath the hood fills with water. Is there a cover that goes over this, or possibly a drain tube stopped up? Need help fast before I drown!

20,390

There shouldn't be a cover but a drain for sure. Its probably plugged up with leaves, twigs, accorn caps, dirt ect.

25

Where would I find the drain? Not very mechanically inclined. Should I remove the mesh covering and clean everything out?

20,390

Yes if the mesh is removable. Clean everything out by hand and a little bit of water or cleaner. The drain should be at the bottom under all the dirt. It the drain hole is plugged solid you might have to use a thin screw driver n poke n pick out the blockage.

25

Thank you so much! I'll try that. You've been a lot of help

20,390

No problem. Hope you're able to get it cleared out.

25

Bad news. Water leaking again! I cleaned out the fresh air vent. Door was clogged with dirt, ect... POURED rain for three days, leaking again! water pools up in passenger floor. No air conditioner so I know it's not condensation. Can't find any leaks around doors or windows. Any more suggestions?

20,390

Did you get all the dirt out? Did you run water over the vent to see it drain away from the car and not into it?

25

yes and yes. I noticed the water wasn't as bad, but still leaking. It has been pouring rain here for days. I even checked the vent while it was raining and it drained fine. I noticed the water seems to originate from behind the glove box up high on the floorboard

20,390

Hhhhmmmmmm..... Sound like it could be where the heater core comes through the fire wall, the base of the windshield or maybe the passenger A pillar. Water leaks can be a pain in the ass and will travel inside the car once it gets in. So it could be leaking in on the drivers side running across the car draining down the fire wall and pooling up on passenger floorboard. Or something similar to that. I would start by taking down both inside A pillar covers and the one at the top of the windshield. Then have someone run a garden hose without a spray nossle over the roof and down the windshield, while you are inside looking and listening for water. The windshield seal could be the problem. Might have to have it removed, the old urethane cleaned off and resealed. I hope you find the leak and its something simple, Good luck!

This may be a little late to post on this subject but we chased the same darn leak in our 1985 El Camino for several months. We purchased a black spray sealant that can be used to repair inside house gutters and sprayed just about every darn part and seam around and in that damper box only to find it was still leaking. Finally we found that there was a screw that was in that area of the firewall and box that seemed to be the culpret entrance as after that was sealed around.............No more leak!

20,390

Nice job! Like I said 5 months ago water leaks are a pain in the ass! I wasn't kidding.

I also have that same leak in my 84 el camino , where is that screw that you sealed around . Please help I'm drowning !!!!!!!