Here I am again,82 El Camino V6 2brl carb K motor.It sat up for 10 yrs.I got it running and it is running pretty good.I checked the gas milage today and it added up to a whopping 5.8mpg. I was really hoping for better.Ive had trouble with the choke?But it runs and idles great.Could the floats in the carb be stuck?Or maby not floating at all anymore after sitting so long?would it still run as good as it does?

Asked by Feb 04, 2017 at 07:41 PM about the 1982 Chevrolet El Camino Base

80,045

I am sure your fuel system is majorly dirty and gunked up. I suspect that if you keep driving it, it will either clear up or stop running due to stuff loosening up and plugged up the works. Change your fuel filter and use a good fuel system cleaner. Of course check out the choke but you may need to rebuild the carb.

71,025

If this car is original the choke is electric. That is there's a little electric heater inside of the choke housing. It draws power from the oil pressure switch. When the engine is running and there's oil pressure the heater is on. No oil pressure the heater is off. Those choke heaters are notorious for burning out. This causes the choke to remain closed. This creates an overly rich air/fuel mixture. That'll kill your gas mileage. HTH. -Jim

71,025

Same with me. Got the email but no picture or post. Anyhow, you can put a manual choke on it. HTH. -Jim