What upgrades can I make to my 1982 v6 el camino? I live in California and swapping a v8 is a big smog issue.

10

Asked by Aug 25, 2014 at 10:53 AM about the 1982 Chevrolet El Camino Base

34,195

Headers. Cold air intake. Can you do something with the intake and not have the smog police get in a tizzy?

67,465

Do some research as to what the "California Emissions Package" consisted of back in '82. I remember it was a $95.00 option at the time. Off the top of my head I believe you needed the AIR (Smog Pump) system, thermostatically controlled air cleaner, and a different carburetor. Also remember that for a 1982 model it may be computer controlled. If you have a check engine light on the dash it is. But if you have a choke light on the dash it is not. GM Media Archives website may be of some help. They have many years of Chevy info available for free download. HTH. -Jim

10

Jim my el camino has a choke light on the dash. Smog test in California are more strict then anywhere else. It's gonna be really tough to do the v8 swap.

67,465

Then you're not computer controlled. I realize about California Emissions. California has had emissions standards beginning with the new 1966 models. The rest of the country didn't get emissions standards until 1968. As long as the correct emissions equipment is visible, hooked up, working, and your exhaust gases coming from the tailpipe are at or below 1982 standards you'll pass. See exactly what 1982 California Emissions standards are and see what, if any, extra equipment will be needed to do the upgrades that you want. For example, I can almost guarantee that a cold air intake system will fail. Your El Camino was originally equipped with the Controlled Combustion System (CCS). First introduced, by GM, in 1969 CCS uses a thermostatically controlled air cleaner to pre-heat the air going to the carburetor. This system controls hydrocarbon emissions. It's highly visible in the engine compartment and, if missing, you'll fail. HTH. -Jim