88 s10 not starting

20

Asked by Feb 18, 2016 at 10:45 PM about the 1988 Chevrolet S-10 Sport Extended Cab 4WD SB

88 s10 2.8 4x4 ext cab automatic 120,000 miles..This truck is a awesome truck it is my daily driver have replaced the timeing chain, Transmission, Water pump. I drive the truck everyday no problems at all except for today as I was driving it felt like the truck was loosing power or not getting enough fuel I thaught I was crazy until I pulled into the store and cut the engine off came back out and it would not start cranked like crazy but not starting I can hear the fuel pump kick on so im assuming it is ok I thaught it was not getting fuel so I poured a little gas into the injectors and still no start I even tried to jump it off to make shure I was getting enough voltage to the battery and still no start. The check engine light has been coming on often but I did not may much mind to it because I have to take it to a garage to get them read. I know it is something simple like the plugs or fuel filter keeping it from not starting. Also every now and again when I go to start the vehicle it will shut off really quick but start back up no problem. I just want to know what you guys think I should do? any help is appreciated thanks

19,535

Check your codes. It's easy and can be done with a paper clip. Jump the top 2 pins on the right side of the connector that sits just under the driver side dash. Then turn the key on and start counting flashes. It repeats a 2 digit code 3 times before going to the next and begins and ends with code 12

20

I havent had time to check the codes but I did pull a spark plug and it was not getting any fire at all so I replaced the ignition module and still no fire so then I replaced the ignition coil and still no fire I have no idea what in the world happened to cause this out of nowhere..

5,795

change your oxygen sensor...reset codes with a scanner...then perhaps nothing will trigger the CEL...be sure the gas cap is on fully~ these will get eaten up in time...~

20

I will check oxygen sensor today. I turned the switch to the on position and used a paper clip to check the codes. The only code that I got was code 12 witch means system normal. The check engine light has been coming and going im not shure why its not reading the trouble code. the ignition coil, ignition module is not getting fire and the fuel injectors are not spraying out fuel when I crank the engine. I read on another thread that it could be my crankshaft position sensor.

20

disregard that. 88 s10s do not have a crankshaft position sensor. my next option will be to check the fuel pump and relay