97 Geo Tracker timeing belt

Asked by Aug 27, 2010 at 07:03 PM about the 1997 Geo Tracker 4 Dr STD 4WD SUV

New timing belt and tightener , runs ok for a few miles then stops running . Timing belt is out of time again . Its still tight but the timing marks no longer line up . Off about 1/4 turn on the crank shaft pulley . This has happened 2 times . Ran good before this .
Any help would be appreciated .

Carl
( SOHC 16 valve ) 212,000 Miles

110

it seems that there is a problem in the keyway on these engines ...iv seen it a few times . take off the lower timing belt sprockett and check the keyway ...

10

just had this happen on a 94 when you put on the new tensioner did you remove the crankshaft gear chances are if you did the and didnt tighten it to the proper torque that the crankshaft is beyond repair causing the crank timing and the valve timing and ignition timing to be out of sync by atleast 30 degrees like the last reply said the keyway between the crank gear and the crankshaft wares down not only causing crank and valve timing to be off but eventually wares the notch in the crankshaft causing timing to fluctuate as high as 40 degrees as in our case. we replaced the engine with a 30,000 mile engine everything is running just fine and it took us about 5 hours to replace it

10

I have a 94 1.6, 8 valve that's done this a few times. There was a TSB to torque the crank bolt to 94PSI. Even this didn't help.. What did help was putting Loctite on the timing gear to crank. There is a type of Loctite just for sleeves. It hasn't moved since.