Car bogs out and stalls

5

Asked by Feb 20, 2016 at 10:50 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet S-10 STD Standard Cab SB

Okay, im having a bit of a problem here. My 1987 Chevy S10 is sitting at
about 900 to 1000 RPM at idle. But when I hit the gas, it goes up to about
2000 RPM and starts to bog down and starts to stall. I have replaced a
number of things such as the coolant temp sensor, the O2 sensor, the
injector, I also recently replaced the fuel filter and pump, but I didnt order a
new fuel strainer for the fuel pump. The distributor cap and rotor were also
replaced and spark plug wires are also new. I also got a MAP sensor from
the junk yard. Any ideas on why it would start to bog out around 2000 RPM
and stall out?? it doesnt even have enough power to move forward. thanks
for any advice that i receive.

113,615

Have you check for a restricted exhaust system? Most parts stores sell the kit.

5

Not yet. What is the kit called? How much would it roughly cost? It was running fine until I had to change the injector and it had to sit for like a month. I have read there might even be a little bit of water in my gas. Can this cause that problem

113,615

Water in the fuel usually causes servere missing and with the dual injector system you can actually hear it go through and injector, it will give a small popping noise, if your concerned about water some gas dryer will work. last I priced the kit it was just over thirty bucks, but it has been a few years ago. Did you happen to move the distributor during any of your repairs?

5

I had replaced the distributor cap and rotor and wires. I have tried to set the timing but it will not stay steady enough to set. It also sometimes has a surging problem where it will jump anywhere from 900 RPM to 1500. I heard that to set base timing you need to short the A and B connectors under the dash. others say disconnect a connector that was near the distributor. I had the truck hooked up to a scan tool, i was reading the map sensor jumping from 34 Kpa to 70 something Kpa. Could this problem also be caused by a vacuum leak in the intake manifold? Or even the exhaust manifold

5

Also it is single throttle body injected

113,615

You must disconnect the spout connector to set the timing, if you try to set with the spout connected it will not be right, even remotely in the correct area thus no power. If you have that kind of pulsation on the map sensor you better check for leaking valves in the engine, a cylinder leak down test will tell you what cylinders have the problems. If you don't have a tester then you can use a home compressor and pressurize each cylinder and listen for escaping air out the exhaust or the intake or even down inside the engine block. As you have the pulse on the mar sensor hose i suspect you have some bad intake valves. To test for a bad intake just disconnect and plug the PCV valve and PCV vent off and then start the engine and hold you hand over the oil fill opening and if you feel vacuum on your hand after a few minutes then you have a intake leak.

5

Where would the spout connector be located? And by mar did you mean map??

113,615

I double checked and you use the aldl connector to set the timing. and yes I did mean map. See pic

21,545

Is your truck the 4 cyl? Or 2.8?

5

Okay, I will try that connection tennisshoes and mine is the 2.5 4 cyl. I also just replaced the egr gasket and the intake gasket. And the throttle body base plate gasket