I have a 1988 ford ranger / 2.9.. multiport and it is using too much fuel,,where to check??

Asked by Jun 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM about the 1988 Ford Ranger STD Extended Cab SB

people traveling behind me sAY THEY SMELL FUEL IN MY EXHAUST AND IT BURNS THEIR EYES,,WHAT SENSORS DO i CHECK??

O2....MAF........EGR....lots of acronyms but eliminate much guesswork and get your OBD codes scanned at any parts house, free

this truck don't have egr

but will make some checks,,thanks

25,315

Definitely check the codes. This system is OBD I (EECIV). There is no MAF. Get the codes and look at things like the O2 sensor, MAP sensor, Fuel Pressure Regulator (look to see if there is any raw fuel in the vacuum line), ECT and ACT - both temperature sensors can tell the PCM that it's really, really cold. The MAP sensor, determines engine load based on the vacuum in the intake manifold. Low vacuum, rich mixture. If the code(s) you get are lean codes, look at the Oxygen sensor (there's only two on this year model) and see if it's at a flat-line 0v or constantly below .5v with the engine running. If so, change it out. Is the "Check Engine" light on? It should be unless someone was behind you while you were really accelerating hard and just happened to notice. Pulling a long grade will have the same effect - raw fuel on a hot Catalytic Converter will produce the sulfur smell. Let us know what you come up with!

Sure enough Larry, it doesn't have EGR. That is a lesson I learned from you, I thought all vehicles had EGR in one way or another, at least any car that vintage, '88....and I was going to "correct" you but it was me assuming. A very good lesson about assuming anything. I don't know Tracy but he strikes me as somebody that definitely knows what he is talking about, judging from this and other posts of his. so I suggest listening to him.

25,315

Thanks Dave. I've been working on Fords (for a living) since 1987. ASE Master Tech, Ford Master Tech and currently work for a County agency maintaining and repairing a fleet of police and emergency vehicles. (In other words, I've had my butt kicked by a lot of Fords :)~)

my fuel pumps wont turn on...i replaced the hi pressure pump...icm both relays and the ecm and still nothing

25,315

Keep throwing money at it! Seriously though, the fuel pump circuit is only energized for 3 seconds on initial key on then will only continue if you're getting a signal to the processor from the distributor telling it that the engine is running. Do you have spark when you crank the engine? Have you tested the inertia switch? Fuses?

10

I was going to suggest resetting the inertia switch also, anytime working with fuel pumps on that year of truck you have to reset the inertia switch or else they will receive no power.