Oil dipstick

20

Asked by Aug 26, 2016 at 08:31 PM about the 1988 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab SB

Where is myoil  dip stick located on a
1988 Ford ranger 2.9 motor 6 cylinder,,
the guy I bought it from said they didn't
have one for this year

20,945

Here:

20

Where hear?

39,605

Under the hood left side (driver's side) of the engine. If the guy told you they didn't have a dipstick on that year of Ranger, he lied to you.

20

Ive had a few men look at it and we can't find one so do you think it's broke of ??? Where would I locate the hole where it is supposed to be at ,, should it be somewhere under the spark plugs on the block on the driver's side??

39,605

It is the yellow thing on the right side of the photo.

20

I know what it looks like I'm telling you mine does not have one I need to know where it's supposed to be so I can put the new tube and stick on it

20,945

That pic I posted was from a 1988 manual for Ranger with 2.9L, that is where the dipstick is supposed to be, and yes they all had them, this guy told you a whopper if he said that year didn't, makes you wonder how badly maintenance suffered under his ownership if he didn't think it had a dipstick. If it is missing the dipstick then you probably have an open hole to the oil pan and god knows whats been getting in there (like water).

20

Ok thank you, I will look for it this site does not show any pictures,, I will do a full oil drain and clean on it when I do find the place where it goes,, thank you,. The motor is good and strong I haven't driven it very much so hopefully everything will work out , and again thank you

39,605

I know you know what a dipstick looks like. The purpose of the photo was to show you where approximately it should be. I would think that with my photo and Ken's diagram that you could get someone to shine a flashlight down on the proper side of the engine and locate a hole where the dipstick tube should be. I am thinking that you have both the dipstick and tube missing.

20

I can't see neither picture or diagram,wounder if you could send it to my email address,this web site doesn't let me see neither,my email is sandrajones5324@yahoo,then maybe between the both I can figure out where to look, I thank you very much for helping me.

39,605

Diagram and photo sent to your e-mail. Have a great weekend.

20

Got it!!! Thank you very much and you have a great weekend too!!!