i have a 1986 ford ranger v6 will run with your hand over the intake but when you move your hand its goes dead what could be the problem beside it being a ford

Asked by Jun 11, 2013 at 09:36 AM about the 1986 Ford Ranger STD Extended Cab SB

its getting 40 psi of fuel into the fuel rail, all pumps are good, new filters, no vacum leaks

you have a vacuume leak spray at base of carb with carb cleaner when it's running if idel picks up change gasket or tighten carb bolts. if that dosent work spray the intake where it bolts to head if idel picks up replace intake gaskets. [but check vacuume lines first]

its fuel injected and it does pick up idle when you spray carb cleaner in it but it suppose to because now its gettin more fuel so it has to run faster to burn it all.

no if you spray the base of it. [throttle body injection] and it picks up you have a vacuume leak or like i said or if you spray it at the intake and it picks up. but you definetly have a vacuume leak

should have mentioned if your spraying carb cleaner into throttle body engine should die down

again it will die down if you have no vacuume leak hope this helps

yea but it might have a vacum leak like you said it should die down put it picks up so where are the known vacum leaks at

base of throttle body or spray both sides of intake to see where it's sucking air from. when idel picks up you know you found your problem

Look at ALL of the PCV hoses and tubes. Better yet, take them off and inspect them. The rubber hoses collapse and split with the engine running but look ok when it isn't. Check Engine light on? Lean codes? Careful with the carb spray, it's easy to burn off your eyebrows with a flash fire.