electrical

30

Asked by Nov 08, 2013 at 06:15 PM about the 1985 Ford Ranger STD Standard Cab 4WD SB

my 1985 ford ranger back fired for about 2 weeks could not figure out why, then it just died, the motor turns over but i have no spark, i sprayed engine start into carb and did not fire so is not fuel pump, i changed coil pack, regulator and icm still no spark what am i missing?

78,385

Have you ever changed the distributor pickup? Might be cheaper to replace the entire distributor with a rebuilt, the counter person should be able to tell you that.

Best Answer
101,775

Timing belt broke or needs replaced possibly. Remove dust covers and inspect belt.

56,845

If it were the timing belt you'd still have spark. Most likely, as tennisshoes said, an ignition failure. HTH. -Jim

30

Not timing belt the distributor turns, i was thinking of putting in a new distributor so i will try that and let u know

56,845

Are you getting power to the distributor? With the ignition in the run position you should be getting about 6 volts to the coil. If so, then yes, it's probably the distributor. If not, see that you have power at the ignition switch. If so, ignition switch is probably bad. If not, check for fuseable links down by the starter. HTH. -Jim

30

Yes there is power to the coil with key on, i have checked all fuses and and for any possible fuseable links. havent had time to change distributor yet.

56,845

Then yup, the distributor is where I'd go next then. -Jim

30

i changed the distributor and i still have the same problem

78,385

Before installing the distributor, use a ground wire and ground the distributor, connect the other module plug to the distributor, turn on the key and spin the distributor, you should get spark out of the ignition coil, if you don't get spark, remove the spout connector and recheck, if you get spark then you have a bad ECM, if you still don't get spark then you either have a bad distributor or a wiring problem from the module to the ignition coil.

30

Hey Turn's out That Auto Zone sold me a Faulty Coil,

260

so its been a year ,,is your ranger still starting after you changed the faulty coil ..maybe they sold me a bad one too ??????? my ranger wont start after replacing about everything new ....

260

nope another new coil ..same crap no spark