I have a 1984 ford ranger 2.3 carbureted , currently the hose from the cat to the smog pump is caped off is this bad? If not can i remove the whole smog pump

Asked by Oct 06, 2014 at 10:37 AM about the 1984 Ford Ranger STD Standard Cab SB

It's bad if you need it for state inspection. It's illegal to mess with the emissions system. So leave it be.

Best Answer

I just want it to run right otherwise doesnt mmatter in Washington they dont enforce the rules much

Near as I can figure, the air pump is just a decoration. So if you leave it there then then if some self appointed green police person peeks under the hood they can feel all warm and fuzzy.

If you plan on running till the wheels fall off and you are in a State and or County that does not have emission/safety inspections (just another way for the government to take money from you) then you can remove the A.I.R. system. The Ford 2.3 liter engine in that year if it is properly tuned and everything is working correctly could pass emissions without the additional garbage deemed necessary at the time.

What do you mean by running it untill the wheels fall off lol

It is a saying, meaning owning it until parts start falling off. Another one is: I'll own it until it becomes a pile of rust. As you are in Washington the rust thing might become true.