I have several questions about fixing up and upgrading my 1989 F-250 XLT Lariat

65

Asked by Mar 14, 2014 at 08:56 PM about the 1989 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat Extended Cab LB

#1. prob a number one question all RWD truck owners have.  Is there an way to convert a 2wd into a 4wd truck.
#2. my truck has a C6 3speed trans with a 4-11 gear ratio.  I would like to find a better trans for it to increase my MPG's.  I will admit it is an amazing towing truck because of the ratio but I would like a better trans. any sugestions?
#3. im looking at upgrading the exhaust and have some good ideas like the flowmaster 40 series.  what is a very good system I can use that will put a nice tone to my V8.

25,585

Sounds like a lot of work. #1, I'd buy a junk 4x4 F-250 or F- 350 and trade parts. #2. Transmissions don't make gas mileage unless they are an overdrive transmission. 411 gears (Ford 4.11 gears?) 3.56 is more common but - ok. So you want to add 500 pounds to your truck AND get better mileage? #3. All an exhaust upgrade will get you is cool sounding exhaust. Why don't you just buy the truck you want instead of trying to adapt this one? (Or buy a small car if you want gas mileage.)

65

I meant to say rear end with the mpg part. I found it weird to because of the gear ratio but the previous owner told me he bought it with a low ratio rear end for when he used it to pull his camper to Texas. i was just wondering if there was a way to buy a rear end with a higher gear ratio so i can get a lil better on fuel. but i own a chevy s10 also im just trying to fix up the f250 for looks. that's why i was asking what people thought was a really good quality baffle for the truck that would show off the V8 better. i mean the point of the truck is to be a project, give me something to do in my spare time. ive always liked square body fords so i got it to fix up and make it look nice. just looking for advice to what i can do.

I own a 4x4 f250 and those things do a lot of damage man.

10

Gents (and gals)....I just bought a cherry 1989 F250 L7.3 with. C6 trains and a C5 rear end. Great for towing...harder as a daily driver. How much would I gain by swapping out the C5 rear end for say a C1? I am a back yard mechanic, but don't want to screw this one up either. Only has 39,000 miles on it. Previous owner probably could not keep fuel in it. Any thoughts would be appreciated . I love this truck! Dennis