Ford Truck ignition won't stay in on position

10

Asked by Apr 17, 2015 at 10:36 PM about the 1986 Ford F-250 XL Standard Cab LB

I have an 86 Ford and it purrs like a kitten when running. I have an issue with the ignition switch and can't figure out the problem. When I start it and kick it into gear it dies, if I hold the ignition in the on position it will stay running and as long as I am holding it forward it runs perfectly. The second I let go of the ignition it shuts off. I know it needs an adjustment somewhere I just don't know where to begin. I already switched out the ignition switch and it was better for about a week and then went back to crap. I have also greased it up good. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

68,285

I am asumming when you say switch,you mean key switch,did you replace the igntion control switch?Or may can adjust it ,but if it is acting like this,it may need replacing.Here is a picture of it.

68,285

It is the control module ,it has rod running to it from switch.

10

I found the rod and there is a bit too much play in it, if I could keep it forward just a bit it would stay running like a champ. Is there an adjustment on that control module and do I need to take out the dash to adjust. I appreciate your help... thanks

Did you ever figure this out? i have a 85 f250 and i am having the exact same problem. I dont have the tilt wheel and cant find the actuator everyone is talking about that wears out. I think that is for the tilt wheel only.