Getting no spark out of the coil

Asked by Jun 22, 2013 at 04:57 PM about the 1987 Ford F-150 XLT Standard Cab LB

have replaced the fuel pump, fuel tank, all electrical modules in distributor on firewall!

96,735

Check for power on the positive side of coil, if you don't check ignition fuse, if you do then check for a trigger signal on the negative side of coil while cranking, if you have a trigger signal then the coil is bad, if no trigger signal then you either have a bad ignition module and or a distributor stator that you just replaced or a wiring problem.

24,995

Ignition Module

24,995

Ok, too short and sweet. The ignition coil is directly controlled by the Ignition Module on this vehicle. The ignition module is the most common component to fail and cause a no-spark condition although, ignition coils have been known to fail too. The design of the Module uses a Schmidt Swtich and a Darlington Amplifier. There is no regulation of the dwell time through the module or into the coil so the Primary Ignition side of the ignition systems runs at 99% dwell - things get hot and burn themselves out over time. The best indicator is a car that dies and won't restart for 30 minutes to an hour. There is one other thing - rare but it happens - pull the SPOUT connector (the one you disconnect to set the timing) and see if it sparks. If it does spar with the SPOUT out and then won't spark with the SPOUT in - PCM.

I have the same problem but I have replaced the computer and still no fire from the coil unless the spout is unplugged and I have no power at the fuel pump either any ideas

96,735

Possible ignition switch might explane the fuel pump problem, but the spark without the spout connector in has always been a defective module, the module controls the spark advance on the spout circuit, I'm thinking you got a bum PCM.

96,735

Or the wrong PCM.

10

I need help!! I was at the gas station and started driving and the truck start acting like it's running out of gas, but I still had a half of tank so I pulled over and it will not start and now I'm not getting spark to my spark plugs? It's a 86 Ford F-150 5.0 EFI

96,735

Check for power and a trigger signal to the ignition coil, if no trigger signal replace the distributor pickup coil and the ignition module, if you have trigger signal and power replace the ignition coil.

10

Ok thanks that helps I still have a lot to learn about this truck!

20

So I haven't had anytime to check anything on it, I bought a new Ignition coil, spark plugs and wires I might get the pickup coil just not sure? What do you think

96,735

If it follows the typical Ford pattern, the ignition module will fail first followed by the distributor pickup coil and finally the ignition coil, but the ignition coil usually will last through 2 to 3 ignition modules before it needs replaced. That is the usual pattern, of course there are exceptions.

20

Ok I will replace what I bought and I will buy a new ignition module before I try to start it I was also going to buy a pickup coil also

20

My distributor rotor ain't spinning what could be the problem?

20

So I replace the timing chain and gears , ignition module, ignition coil, spark plugs and wires and it won't start?? Can somebody help?