2014 Chevy Spark wont start all the time

Asked by Aug 28, 2015 at 12:08 PM about the 2014 Chevrolet Spark LS

I have a 2014 Chevy spark with 11,000 miles on it.  I have trouble getting it to start sometimes so I took it back to the dealer and they say it starts up every time, its been there for a week.  Im picking it up today and im sure it will happen again, it just wont do it at the dealers, it happens sparatictly.  Any idea of what it could be? I bought a new car so I would have a dependable car, this is not dependable.  I work 6 days a week and need a dependable car with good gas mileage that's why I bought the spark.

109,685

I would check to make sure you have good voltage at the battery or any loose connections... http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Spark/2013/engine/.... https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2015-spark-owners-manual.pdf

27,145

hard to fix something when it doesnt do it...so does it do that when its hot or cold or what?

When its cold my husband said it didn't start when he was leaving for work one morning and one evening coming home he jiggled with it and got it started but we need a dependable car and the dealership can't seem to figure it out because like I said it wont do it for them. My husband drives it 50+ miles a day to work and back it just started happening a couple of weeks ago.

20

Are u still having these problems mine does the same thing ! I can't figure it out either ?????? Super nervous about this car

10

no not anymore we took It to the dealer and it never happened again and didn't happen there have no idea of why that happened.

30

Hint:Try BOTH keys. If the 3 volt button battery goes dead in the key/door opener, it will NOT let you start the car.

My car does it all the time. Finally got the dealer to see it. They replaced the battery and now it's worse. Taking it back in today. I love this car, otherwise. And I don't always trust the dealerships.

25

Have you gotten the no-start issue solved? Mine is doing the same thing. I replaced the battery and this did not fix it. When you get yours fixed please let me know what they did to fix it. Mine is out of warranty.

Did any find the problem why Chevy spark won't crank?

25

2014 Spark with same problem. Got my computer out with a GM scan doggle and during a no crank instance I was not able to commuicate with the Spark computer (ECM). Had Chevrolet dealer change out ECM and told him to reprogram all other modules. That fixed the no start issue. Next day radio quit working. He did not reprogram all modules as I asked and had to reprogram the radio. It went into theft mode when did not match OEM ECM

10

i ended on this page when my spark did not start. The start motor wat turing but the engine did not start. Therefore I thought that it was a motor problem. However the red indicator light of starter breaker was also light during the start. so i read about the chip in the key that did not match. I thought my car was pretty cheap however my key also has a chip. There was a small magnet befor this chip. Trobling the chip in the key. I used this magnet to hang my key on the radiator at home.

10

Check its battery and spark plug, if Chevy spark starts sometimes and sometimes fail, check on the right side of the bonnet, you will find black box , it has relays (like fuses ) in it, exchange the larger ones among them ,or change them , and then try again starting , iam pretty sure this will work.

Hello Kartik, thank you for your answer! You're on the right track. The dealership told me that I had a dry battery cell, so I had to buy a new battery since it wasn't covered on my warranty. But the next day the car wouldn't start so I had it towed to the dealership. The replaced the wiring from inside the steering column, the starter, and the plugs. The car has been running great ever since. I feel that there was nothing wrong with my old battery and had to wait for a few days while they tried to locate my old one. I feel that the one the finally came up with wasn't my original one but I couldn't prove it so I was out the money spent for that. I've read that a few other cars of my make and year have had these issues so I'm glad you wrote back. Someone else will surely be able to use all of this information! The Spark is a great car and I'm really happy about the choice I made in buying it. My best to you..

I bought my car used 2015 spark one day it just wouldn't crank we jump started it then went to auto advanced to found out alternator is over chanrged the battery so we trying to replace hopefully this will work