Changed the starter car won't start power from alternator to starter no power from battery

Asked by Dec 13, 2014 at 04:41 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet Chevette 2 Dr CS

13,555

Make sure your battery cables are connected correctly. Are the connections clean? Can you test the starter cable where it connects to the starter for power? If you have power to the starter, it may be a bad solenoid. The alternator does not go directly to the starter, but to the battery to charge it, and to the other car electrical systems to run it if the battery dies. The alternator will not produce electricity until the engine is running, turning the belt system that turns the alternator. Your key will sent a electrical charge to the solenoid to engage the starter, pushing the starter arm towards the fly wheel to engage it the turn the flywheel which turns the engine over. No power to the starter, no turning of the engine. No starting.