Cat or no cat with a stock turbo, is there a power increase ?

35

Asked by Jul 29, 2008 at 01:36 AM about the 1995 Eagle Talon 2 Dr TSi Turbo AWD Hatchback

leave the cat on,is part of the emisions system,and no on power increase.Beside it has to be on to pass for inspection,you could gut it out,but leave it on the car.

45

Always more power, turbo spools MUCH quicker = more torque

255

Well if you live in Cali or somewhere with emission tests no if you don't have to worry pull her off and have less back pressure and there for a quicker spooling turbo... plus you can get about 25 bucks for recycling your cat :)

1,025

Catalytic converters do not restrict flow heavily. Yes you will probably see a slight increase being a turbocharged car over naturally aspirated, but it will be very minimal.

I had a 98 GST and I took the cat off. It wasn't a huge power increase but the turbo spooled much faster. But you aren't going to get much out of the stock turbo either. So I got an EVOIII BIG 16g which would peel the tires off @ 19lbs of boost. lol

but also keep in mind about inspections (like everyone else is saying) depending on where you live. I live in alabama. You can drive around on a bucket with a motor and go un-noticed here.

175

My buddy's drivin a 99 gsx and he's running a 3 in exhaust with upgraded turbo etc..with no cat and hes doing pretty damn fine with it.

45

Iv'e read about them.. some add around 5 but most add 10 or a little over. idk, i have one.. working great haha.

With the stock turbo you wont see much of an increase. I say leave the cat just because of inspection.

55

yes there is a power in increase stock turbo isnt much though i upgraded to a evo 3 big 16g and i can have up to 300 hp!

yea u have to leave it on to pass inspection but u can buy a high flow cat-back.....i had one and i noticed an immediate difference. look into buying a t/5 hybrid turbo. u will like it alot.....if u want to beat v-8's

5

DUDE take it off. seriously. i'll buy you a sawsall blade.

5

it will increse hp but you will also get some boost creep with an open down pipe to no cat. i am running this setup on my 93 rx-7

55

Some other people on here are stupid. The less backpressure a turbo has the faster the spool up and the more HP you will get. Dont cut it off, get a test pipe. A test pipe is a flanged pipe that will bolt on in place of the cat so for that ONE DAY A YEAR you have to have a cat you can just switch it out. A good test pipe is like $150. I would recommend getting a full 3" turbo back, which is flanged for a cat. You could see 20Hp at the wheels with an intake and a turbo back.

hey guy i have a 91 eagle talon and the hell with the cat........... you want to be fast! right. just make shure you have an muffler cuz is going to be loud, well not to loud but i have got stop by it :)