i have a 96 talon tsi awd and its having some over heating issues. when i turn the heat on it usually levels out. is this a common problem?

15

Asked by Jul 23, 2009 at 01:26 PM about the 1996 Eagle Talon 2 Dr TSi Turbo AWD Hatchback

55

You may want to check the cooling system for any clogs or bad hoses. Also the thermostat may need replacing. Could you go into a bit more detail on it? Maybe list how long it takes to overheat, and how high up the needle is on the temp gauge (as some people tend to think its a major problem when it is just a bit on the hot side, when in actuality, it isn't.). There are several things that could be causing it.

15

i worked on it a bit this weekend. look like it was a coolant return line to turbo housing. it kept happening when i was on the freeway for longer than 20 min. the guy at the oilchange place noticed some rust when i was getting the radiator flushed. know where i can get a cheap thermostat in the milwaukee, WI area?

55

Your general auto parts store, such as NAPA, Autozone, O-Reileys, etc. should have one cheap. If you cant find one just look at one of these online retailers, as there really aren't much difference in part quality: http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=thermostat%20for%20talon%20tsi&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

345

You just need to make sure you have coolant flow (water pump) It never hurts to replace your thermostat but typically a thermostat will stick open when it goes bad and not allow the car to warm up. Do you have any modifications, such as a front mount intercooler, etc. Also its not uncommon for the radiator to lose efficiency over time due to fins being bent or covered by leaves etc. If the car hasnt been maintained well your radiator could be plugged.

15

water pump. problem solved. thx everyone

55

Mine stuck closed. Happens alot with dsm's causing them to overheat, unlike other cars sticking open.

i am having the same problem should i take out water pump or just replace radiator?