how can i disengage my turbo?

Asked by Jul 30, 2011 at 02:17 AM about the 1997 Eagle Talon 2 Dr TSi Turbo Hatchback

My turbo messes up the shifting,  when I step on the gas the turbo will wind up, but it'll sit there and wine for a second and then it shifts really hard,  but if I drive without pushing the turbo and keeping the psi down, it will shift just right, so I'm trying to figure out how to turn off the turbo altogether.

the short answer is you can't. If its having problems shifting when under boost I would check the engine and transmission mounts.

35

just block your wastegate open, easy as that.

75

Have you checked to see if the trans is low on fluid? If the trans is shifting hard under heavy acceleration there is a problem with the trans. Disengaging the turbo is only masking the problem. Also the ecu is setup for the turbo if you dont have the turbo the car is not going to run good if you ever accelerate hard.

35

Car will actually run fine, no matter what he does, as long as he blocks the wastegate open.