Should I Keep It?

Asked by Jun 26, 2011 at 09:46 AM about the 1997 Eagle Talon 2 Dr ESi Hatchback

In a world of cars that all look pretty much the same, I love sleek, unique design of my 1997 Eagle Talon. She needs to have the engine rebuilt or maybe a new engine. Runs well, but leaks oil. I'm debating whether to spend my money on completely refurbishing the car (insidde and out) or trading it in on a new boring, but dependable car with all the bells and whistles. I'd hate to let that car go, but I just can't decide. If I knew how to repair a car, it would be different; but, I don't, so I have to depend on the reliability and honesty of the mechanic. Any advice??

55

if you want to fix up guys buy tuners pretty well but they are a pain in the ass to fix large oil leaks and value is about 2500 or so based on miles

Thanks. The mechanic did say that oil leaks are a real problem with that engine. Then again the car does have 232,000 miles on it, has been rebuilt once, and other than leaking oil, it runs great. The interior and body are almost perfect. I guess it comes down to two things: I like that car and I don't want another car payment. You're right about the current resale value - it's not much.