Water spewing from exhaust

Asked by Jun 13, 2017 at 10:38 PM about the 1989 Mazda RX-7 Base Convertible

Exhaust and transmission removed..turned
flywheel by hand and coolant spews heavy
from exhaust.

105,395

Well Kiss that rotary engine bye bye, most likely one or more of the housings are cracked right into a coolant passage. Not repairable, best to replace the whole engine. Bummer man.

Thanks...maybe that's why I couldn't rev to but 4.5 to 5k rpms in neutral... Redlines at 8k...9 tops...maybe I can get fortunate at a salvage yard and find a rebuilt one cheap.

105,395

It should have revved higher than that, back in my days when I raced these little engines, I was hitting RPM's of 10 to 11K but I would not recommend that for a daily driver, I had at least 3 engine sitting for backups, and yes I did blow a few. So good luck in your search.

I have to remove and dismantle the engine to see what repair kit I need, eh? That's if the plates are in specs ....and rotors....maybe get away with apex seal change...kinda tedious job.... esp. with the gear chain and eccentric shaft...maybe I can experi-port-bore it out with a dremel...be my first time dealing with rotary innards..and removal install.

105,395

OK if your going to go this route, once you get the engine apart you need to make sure the side housings are flat and clean no cracks, the rotor housings need to be examined closely for any chatter marks if you find any of those things mentioned they are junk, so after that and your ready to go, make sure you have some very good micrometers and feeler gauges, and a large jar of Vaseline jelly, it is critical that the side seals are measured exactly or it will loose compression and oil consumption will be high, if your thinking about needle porting it find a good machine shop that knows how too do it right or you will windup with a ruined housing. I know at one time you could not even buy any side or rotor housings from Mazda but that may have changed now that they are redesigning the rotary engine the old stuff is just sitting until they recycle it. Just remember one thing when dealing with a rotary engine, forget all you thought you knew about internal combustion engine. HTH and good luck.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thanks much!...,I had the hunting idle problem also,,... after cracking the brittle oil metering lines,.. while changing the water pump...made sure the upper manifold was clean and vacuum tubes changed...noticed some components weren't hooked up to vacuum....wonder why....put it together,...surging....reason for dismantle was always adding water,...and white smoke at acceleration for redline..then it would clear st idle...but always had an odor of coolant....I didn't have the car long...after much repairing...self clutch change,...trans tail shaft removal for gear selector correction,.... Dunno....nice when its working, .....seemingly..

105,395

O2 sensors don't like coolant, that might explain the hunting problem, you may have to replace them after you get it back running, if your staying stock so it is drive-able on the highway. Thanks for the best answer points.

Your welcome thanks for the responses!