My 1987 Mazda RX7 Turbo has an irregular idle.

55

Asked by Nov 10, 2013 at 05:47 PM about the 1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo

When started up cold, it revs up to around 3K for a few seconds as they all do, but when the engine runs at normal temperature...the tach bounces from 1200 - 1500 RPM's consistently. I was told maybe a vacuum leak. A friend suggested that I spray carb cleaner all over the engine compartment to determine if and where there is a vacuum leak. Any other ideas or suggestions would be very welcome.

83,045

Don't use carb cleaner unless you want to burn it to the ground, I use a little bottle of water and just trickle it around the manifolds, if there is a vacuum leak you will immediately find it. It sounds like you may have a sensor problem, I'd get the codes read from someone who knows how to pull the codes from a rotary and see what they come up with.

55

I'm glad I chose not to use the carb cleaner, definitely not looking to burn it down! When I read the side of the can and it stated "Caution Extremely Flammable", I knew there had to be a better (smarter) way.

35

Check the hose between the mass airflow and the turbo they tend to crack. That's what caused my issues when I first picked up my tii