Tonda Cole

Asked by Aug 27, 2016 at 01:56 PM about the 1984 Mazda RX-7 GS

I am thinking of purchasing a 1984 Mazda RX 7 with
152,000 miles. Is this a good buy? It's very clean
runs great

NO, do you see how fast I answered your question..... this car is way too old... pick something much newer. And, Rotary engines while they were unique have peculiar problems, tend to burn oil and I personally knew someone with an old RX7 that went down in flames when the engine caught fire, they were lucky to get out alive, no kidding.... car was destroyed.

This would only make sense if you were buying it as a collector car for restoration or hot-rodding. If you were buying this as a daily driver, absolutely not.

I agree with Ken above completely. Also, please consider, your age, the price you'd have to pay, expected return on your investment, restoration costs, storage, maintenance (yes, even collector cars need attention if you ever expect them to run properly again) and how long you would have to wait, you might not live long enough to see the return. All very big risks, again, skip it.