I am about to buy a 1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL with about 45,000 miles that has sat outside for 6 years. Apparently needs crank shaft seals & won't create vacuum. Is this costly or major? Could we do it?

5

Asked by Jul 23, 2013 at 05:55 PM about the 1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL

83,175

Yes you can do it, and yes it is costly, but I would not recommend it if you have never worked on a rotary before as the measurements are very critical and it takes a lot of measuring, filing remeasuring to get the side seals the correct length plus you have to make sure the side housings are flat and the rotors housings do not have chatter marks in them. It is best to replace the engine with a running one or bite the bullet and put in a new one.

24,585

As long as you're willing to replace the engine, which IMO is a VERY realistic scenario for a rotary engine that's been siting for THAT long....and yes, it will cost some $$$ to get her up and running after not being properly cared for.

22,475

Try this first: While cranking the engine, slowly pour trans fluid down the intake. By providing lubrication, it's possible to build up your vacuum and get it started. It works with flooded rotary engines too! The seal get dried out and won't seal. This isn't fix - it's a cheat. A new motor for the car isn't that expensive when you consider how stinking easy it is to change out. Besides, with that few of miles on it, a new motor will top off a nearly new car. PS: if you do pull the motor - change out the clutch components just for CYA.