I need step by step instructions on how to replace a starter on a 1990 Dodge Omni.

Asked by Dec 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM about the 1990 Dodge Omni 4 Dr America Hatchback

It looks like I'm going to have to remove the
front axel, but from what people have told
me. I shouldn't, because it'd cause me more
hassle. Step by step instructions would be
very useful to me right now. Thanks to
anybody that can help.

5,015

Hi you do not have to remove the axle from the vehicle how ever there is a bolt that goes between the starter and the engine that can not be seen ...you will need a 6" inch extension and shallow socket if I remember it will be a 15mm ...you just have to feel around for it .....first things first though disconnect your battery .... then remove the heat shield that protects the inner c/v boot from the cat (if still there) ..... then disconnect the wires to starter....some starters had a body bracket to the block ...remove this......then remove the bolt you can not see first (the one between the block and starter...some models had a stud and nut that need to be removed from the top...then remove the last bolt ...the starter should be able to come out between the K/fram and axle...hope this helps good luck. moparjohn

Best Answer Mark helpful
165

Here is the page from the factory service manual. The axle does not have to be removed.