Broken Odometer

Asked by Oct 06, 2011 at 09:16 AM about the 1990 Dodge Omni 4 Dr America Hatchback

I am posting this for a friend.  They have a 1990 Dodge Omni.  The odometer just recently stopped working, but the speedometer is working.  So this does not sound like a speedometer cable issue to me.

They are having problems finding a replacement speedometer/odometer instrument (or cluster).  Might this be a odometer gear issue in the instrument.  What is the proper gear to get (how many teeth).  I have looked around for this information, but have not found anything.

Additionally, does anyone have a cluster or speedometer/odometer instrument that they would be willing to sell (or know where I can get one)

Thanks

155

The 1990 models do not utilize a speedometer cable; they are fully electronic, driven by a signal from the speed-distance sensor. A faulty odometer is usually caused by the stripping of the small plastic gears inside the speedometer. Over time the plastic becomes brittle and then cracks, eventually stripping or breaking in half entirely. Replacing the entire cluster would rectify the problem, however the instrument cluster is unique to the 1990 models and aren't as common as the earlier ones so your friend might have issue finding a replacement. Replacing the odometer gear itself is an option; this website http://www.speedometergears.com/chrysler-odometer-gears has a variety of gears, although you'll have to open your cluster and see what kind of gear you require.