Battery died on my 2014 Subaru Forester now my radio /CD player wont work. Checked the fuses!

Asked by Sep 10, 2015 at 03:28 PM about the 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring

Keys were left in ignition battery died  now the radio /cd player wont work.
There are no light or anything on it.

122,705

It's not any fuses you have to have the car re-programmed to car's new new battery, you will need to go to the dealer..

An automotive battery, once completely drained, is very likely ruined. They are designed to put out a tremendous amount of power -- CCA's to start a car but are not 'deep cycle' So you will need a new battery, even though it's not that old, then.. well most newer cars must have a code entered to get it to work. Anti-theft ... or theft discouragement feature... not sure id Subaru has that or not. But Check out: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2014.html

Hi joemom. We were posting at same time.

You may be right about dealer. But only problem is cost....

122,705

Yes it looks like we posting at the same time, as long as we have the same basic anwser to the question all is good...

66,505

2014 Forrester is still under warranty, I would see the dealer.

180

My 2014 Forrester battery died and required a jump start. Afterwards the radio did not work. Checked the fuses which were all good. Read on line that the problem was that the computers need a restart which required the battery to be disconnected. I disconnected the negative terminal for a couple of minutes. Reconnected the terminal and the radio worked!

90

Exactly what Brian said -- same scenario, all fuses were fine, disconnected negative batt terminal, reconnected, and radio worked.

20

Brain - THANKS! you saved me a trip to the shop. Radio working again!

60

Same on a 2015 Forester. Detached, then reattached the negative terminal on the battery and radio came back on. Presets lost, but otherwise ok.

10

2014 Subaru Impreza sport limited, radio cycling on and off rapidly. When it starts the radio sometimes works fine. Then, it cuts out and buzzes or emits white noise thru the speakers and begins to cycle on and off. Any answers?

115,475

To the person above - I think your radio is fried. I doubt there is a relay to your radio but if there is, change it.

I have a 2014 Subie Forester 2.5 I_s. Great car. My gps/radio failed. Rang Eblens, no help ... busy with the Takata recall. Tried the internet..found the battery disconnect solution ...worked. Had to reprogram dates, clock etc... but happy. Think Subie needs to dicuss this too common issue with their suppliers.

Thank you!! Brian for the information. I save $130 just to diagnose at Subaru dealer services department. It took 5 minutes all together and it works again. Appreciated.

180

These forums are great. Glad it worked for you!

Hi Brian, I have the same issue. I disconnected Tue battery terminals but when I reconnect them the radio comes on but all I'm seeing is the Subaru logo. Is there a specific technique?

180

Earl, i don't recall running into the issue you described. It did take me two attempts before i got it right. The first time I did not allow enough time for the computer to completely turn off before reconnecting the battery terminals.

10

I disconnected the negative from the battery and it resolved the radio issue my son said he did it a week earlier and didn't work might have to do it more than once

Wife's battery died, she got a jump, radio didn't work afterwards. Disconnecting negtive cable didn't do it and I was afraid the Clarion unit was fried! Disconnected both battery cables and touched them together, I guess this reset the computer? Back to normal! I recorded each step I did and put together a video, please check it out and avoid that $118 DIAGNOSTIC FEE FROM THE DEALERSHIP!! https://youtu.be/2chua8Lrx4k Please help me out by subscribing (I only need about 940 more subscribers before I can start making money from youtube!) www.youtube.com/pinetopjackson