How do I reduce the lateral movement (play) in my steering wheel?

20

Asked by Jul 10, 2016 at 03:01 PM about the 1930 Ford Model A Coupe

The play in my steering wheel seems excessive.  With the wheels straight and
my hand on the steering wheel at the 12 o:clock position, I am able to move
the wheel several inches in each direction before the wheels start to move.  
What play should I have?  If mine is excessive (which I think it is) what
adjustment can I make on the steering housing to reduce it.  I believe there are
3 adjustments that can be made (worm gear, end play and one more).  Which
is the one the specifically effects the play in the wheel?  Thx

20

On the steering sector the top nut looks different from the rest because it is has an eccentric adjusting sleeve. Loosen al the sector housing bolts just a little and then turn this eccentric adjusting nut and sleeve either right or left depending on adding play or lessening get the play. Only go a little and then tighten everything and check steering to see if it is where you want it. You may need to do this a couple of times before you get is where you want it. If you tighten too much you won't be able to move the steering wheel. So do a little each time till you comfortable with the amount of play.

20

Where exactly is the steering sector? Can you take a photo of it?

20

Enclosed are two pics of driver's side engine compartment. The close up shows the sector as well as the eccentric adjusting bolt/sleeve. If you have a parts catalog from a vendor like Mac's it is easy to identify parts.

20

Sorry, here is the close up.

20

Perfect, thank you!