hard starting

Truman Renz

Asked by Dec 12, 2015 at 10:01 AM about the 1930 Ford Model A Base

car does not start on cranking...car starts just as starter is released

I am hardly an expert on Model A cars but do you have the spark advance set at the right spot, the choke on and is the battery strong enough to turn it over fast? Are the spark plugs in good shape?

Truman Renz

yes spark advance is ok ..choke is on and real good bat...it seems like low voltage on cranking and have replaced coil ....lost for ideas

You don't have a magneto? I think my dad's neighbor's Model A with rubble seat has a magneto.

Check the spark plug gap and make sure it is not too wide. You could experiment with making the gap slightly smaller.

I suppose if the starter is worn and drawing too much power it could cause the problem you have.

Guy Outland

What kind of starting system are you using? Does it have a modern key type or an ignition on switch with push button start? The way the question reads is that it runs as the starter is released or is it then that it starts to crank?

Truman Renz

car starts on release of starter pedal after cranking...if i keep cranking car will not start...i will get busy with some meters and try to find the voltage drop