Anyone having a difficult time filling the tank of a 2014 mazda cx5?

Asked by Oct 08, 2013 at 10:09 PM about the 2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Purchased a new 2014 mazda cx5.  Could not fill tank past 11 gal w/out it shutting off.
Brought car back to dealer. Claimed there was a crack in the tank. Replaced tank. Got
the car back and still not filing past 11 gal. Dealer claims this is how the 14.6 tank works
on all the new mazda cx5's.

...sorry for the tiger striping there, but if you click on that zooms in on and will reveal this valve that you might want to take a look at the operation ---or even still there where it once was---~

14.6 gallons is enough juice to get you to the show on time~ DO NOT overfill these systems are "iffy" and choke off issuing a CEL if the tank fills to capacity~....stop at the first click...please (I know it's a hard habit to break)...for example you're trying to get to an even dollar sum....DON'T DO IT!~

CEL=check engine light (so you don't have to look it up)~

"crack in the tank"....crack in their wouldn't gas be a leakin'....a RECALL item if this be the case...clearly that guy has a cracked tank~

I ran the tank down to "19 mile range" - two blocks left on the gas gauge and filled the tank plus two more gas pump clicks and finished putting in 12.88 gallons. I was wondering where the disconnect was - was there A) 2.5 gallons left in the tank? or B) Did I stop roughly 1.8 gallons short (this was before reading operator_13's answers)? or C) is 15.3 some arbitrary number that is nowhere close to reality???

Well one must consider the size of the tank...and always leave at least two gallons in there because without a soup of gas at the bottom your fuel pump will quickly overheat...when the little yellow gaspump light comes on it may be too late as damage may have already been done~ 1.8 gallons short seems right to me...try to keep as much gas in that tank as you can...personally ALWAYS run mine on FULL...never risking fuel pump failure~ not filling up relay is bad...not allowing full to the first click...better than causing a failure for making the canister fuel- bound~...and subsequent CEL until the charcoal is cleared~

this may be a recall item...would check for Technical Service Bulletins and Recall items for this model and year~ I'd do it for you, but you have got to use some judgement when reviewing the results~

got to call that number to get the scoop~...probably they owe you money for the inconvenience~

I just called Mazda to ask about the gas tank - The person on the other end said that we should push the reset button each time we fill-up. I'm only on my second tank and though I reset the odometer, I was unaware of the 'reset button'. Anyone out there already hitting 'reset' each fill-up and if so, are you getting more accurate numbers???

wow...kinda like resetting the CEL by holding down the trip odometer and turning the ignition on five times~...think that's GM~

I drove mine over 50 miles past 0 miles left, and finally it started misfiring, threw an engine light on the dash, and I pulled off to the side of the road where it finally stalled. I put in 3 gallons of fuel I was carrying in a canister in the trunk, drove about 5 highway miles to a gas station, and was only able to pump in 10.28 gallons. That makes the realistic filling capacity WITH FUEL RAIL well under 14 gallons. If the volume of the tank is 14.6 then there is a large expansion area for temperature fluctuation. This is usually more common with diesel tanks as that fuel has substantial expansion when it reaches temps above 110F. I typically do this 'experiment' on every car I own, often more than once, and always very early in the morning on roads I know well with spare fuel on hand. It helps me get a feel for how far I can drive the vehicle past empty in the case of an emergency. It is technically illegal to intentionally drive a vehicle to an empty tank, though :\

Kenneth R Noto

As to the so called Crack in your Gas Tank - that Dealership Mechanic has his skull cracked. Like others have said, your tank would be leaking - in addition your Check Engine Light would be on because there'd be no pressure built up in your Gas Tank. I know what others have said about once you hear that first click when pumping, you should stop pumping gas, but I, like many others, restart the pump to bring the total to the nearest dollar. At least I usually do that - but I always do it when I'm doing a long trip because I know that the gas in the tank will be used quickly. Another recommendation regarding the Gas Tank - From the day of purchase I always let the yellow light appear about once every two or three months. This prevents sludge and junk from settling to the bottom of your gas tank. That way if you ever do run out of gas, you will not screw up your valves with dirty gasoline. My Grandfather, a mechanic, taught me this trick when I was younger. But - the thing is, you have to do this right from the beginning - you cannot just begin doing this, letting it go down to the yellow light, if you've owned the car for more than a few months.