Straight wiring brake lights

Asked by May 27, 2016 at 10:42 PM about the 1990 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr Sport Extended Cab SB

Trying to straight wire the brake lights in a 1990
dodge dodge dokota could anyone point me in
direction of the brake light switch and some
pointers on wiring thinking it would be easier to
pull new wires than to

92,685

As the turn signals and the brake lights use the same bulb you just can't straight wire the factory lights, you will have to put on some lights just for the brake lights, you will have to locate a spot on the rear bumper to put the lights, someplace where the tailgate won't smash them, then run the brake light wiring up through the frame rails into the engine compartment and feed the wires into the cab through the firewall, then up under the dash you will see the brake light switch attached to the brake pedal arm assembly, cut the cold side wire and splice the new light wire onto the cold side of the switch, and if it all has power you should have brake lights everything you step on the brake pedal. HTH