1991 dodge spirit key won't turn

Asked by Oct 26, 2014 at 01:24 PM about the 1991 Dodge Spirit 4 Dr ES Sedan

Car has run fine with no issues. Went to
go to work yesterday and the key
wouldn't turn in the ignition. I've never
had anything like this happen. I sprayed
wd40 all over the ignition and still
wouldn't turn. Any help here would be
appreciated.

20,860

The steering wheel might be bound. Try firmly pulling or pushing the wheel while turning the key.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Tried that hoping it would work, but no luck. Thanks anyways though!!!

20,860

Did the wheel move at all? You reallllly have to put some muscle into it sometimes. If that's not it then how wore down the the key? It is 24 years old. Could be time for a new key or ignition tumbler?

Yeah, I just find it kinda strange how its always worked flawlessly sine we bought it in 97 and turn it off one night and now it won't budge. I'm headed to the part store and gonna put a complete new ignition switch in it and see if that fixes the issue. Yeah I was pushing and pulling with all my might and my brother was trying to turn the key. I also have a spare key for it with no wear on it and not even that would work. So I'm hoping the new ignition switch assembly will fix it. Thanks again for the help and tips.

20,860

No problem. I hope its an easy fix.

Please do tell me about what you had to do to fix this issue. I'm having the exact same problem. I'm stuck in a Fred Meyer's parking lot right now! I can't even find the correct screwdriver star with the hole in the middle of it. Can someone Please help me out?