My 1991 Spirit shuts off, won't idle on occassion.

Asked by Jul 21, 2013 at 04:30 PM about the 1991 Dodge Spirit 4 Dr ES Sedan

On the nom, my car idles well. However, sometimes when coming to a stop, my foot just off the gas pedal and on the brake pedal, the car dies. Try and restart it, it won't restart. Let it sit for 5 minutes, it restarts  The idle seems kind of low. Im no mechanic, just bought it. Parts house guy said It might be the "idle air control valve".  Also, my gauges light has just come on and is staying on, nothing seems out of the ordinary, water, oil pressure and battery gauges all show good (battery and alternator were checked and are ok).

101,575

Yes it sure sounds like an idle air control valve either dirty or needing to be replaced?

101,575

Could also be a faulty throttle position sensor.

Like I said, I am no mechanic, but I will get it checked out. I am going to clean the air control first before I replace it, then if that don't fix it I will go on to the "throttle position sensor". Man I am so glad I signed up for this, you guys have been a great help to me, I really appreciate it.