87 Vanagon heater wont shut off completely

Asked by Aug 04, 2014 at 01:33 AM about the 1987 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Passenger Van

when the heater controls are "off" position, heat still enters cab. what is the fix?

35,405

Find the heater blend door. It's on the left side and find out why it's not completely closing.

Best Answer Mark helpful
23,225

Your Vanagon runs??!!!

4,825

There's also a rear heater unit under the rear-most seat. Make sure the valve on that one closes completely as well. When was the last time you had your coolant system flushed and filled? If not within the last 2 years, your overdue. Check out Vanagon dot com for some great tech tips and information from the Vanagon community.

Heck yes it runs--good,but hot in the cab-gauge etc. says AOK on engine etc. Front heater lever may not be closing completely but I'm checking that (above clamshell?) today. Is there a gasket or seal replacement for the levered doors to footwell area? what and where would help. P.S. jambnblues Its my fourth VW bus so I'm incurable-- Just wish I had my brand new 71 again-20 mpg+