Wiring diagram or tech advice for radiator fan wiring on 86 Westy Weekender

Asked by Feb 07, 2015 at 10:54 AM about the 1986 Volkswagen Vanagon Camper Passenger Van

This is for a 1986 Westy Weekender, 2.1L auto.  Need wiring diagram or help with radiator fan wiring. The connector has 3 wires going in to 3 adjacent spade lugs, but inside the connector boot the two outer wires cross over the middle wire to the opposite spade lugs. Is this normal?  Can anyone provide a VW wiring diagram for the radiator fan motor set-up?  Thanks.  I believe this is for the 450W system, according to a tech article on gowesty   D Abbott - katycoachswim@yahoo.com

google it

I did, and it led me to this site, so I thought I could get a direct answer or resource. Googling did not provide what I needed. Thank you.

Steven Martinez

Go onto www.thesamba.com search the tech pages or post a question. Everett can point you in the right direction if you mail him. He runs the site.

Steven, nothing past 1982. Searched all categories. Thanks anyway!

With the 450 wt fan motor, you must have a Radiator Fan Resistor wired to the plug. The resistor sits on the ledge just inside the driver's side headlight. You have to have this cylindrical, green resistor in order to make your cooling system work properly with your fan. It's the same resistor, but with different leads used in Eurovans. GoWesty sells them already altered for Vanagons - ours just arrived - only 5 days to Canada! Ours was missing, and some homemade wire thingy is in there, but our mechanic is installing it this week which should complete our cooling system overhaul after our rear heater core blew all our coolant out underneath. The 450 wt fan is installed on Vanagons with A/C. I think the resistor controls the fan's speeds or stages, causing the one-speed fan to operate on two speeds or stages. Even tho' our A/C is dead, we still must have this resistor, as it goes with our 450 wt fan. Geez, I hope this helps you out. FYI our "bus" is a 1986 2.1L GL Westfalia. Cheers! Donna