1. Is a 1986 Vanagon watercooled? Inline? How can I find BHP?

Asked by Dec 03, 2014 at 12:35 PM about the 1986 Volkswagen Vanagon Camper Passenger Van

Scott Sr.

All Vanagons have flat four engines. First Vanagons were air cooled 1.9L...then came the water cooled 1.9L and finally the 2.1L wasserboxer. If you own ANY of these vehicles, I strongly recommend purchasing the Bentley service manual...it is PRICELESS! Also, check out Vanagon dot com and WetWesties (there are more) for forums related to this vehicle. Cheers.

I'm guessing you don't have an '86 or you would know the answers to your question. IT is water cooled, flat 4-cyl, HP is about 95 BHP.